There is a Cloud revolution under way. It has been going on for several years now, but recently, it’s significance has increased dramatically. Businesses, both large and small, are driven to the cloud to save costs, access more data, automate, and remain competitive. And as a result, there has been a huge increase in the demand for cloud engineers, cloud developers, and cloud security experts in the last year. Businesses need to hire professionals that have a demonstrated deep knowledge of the latest cloud enabled technologies, such as serverless computing, big data, machine learning, DevOps, functional programming, software controlled networking, IoT, cloud security, and much more.
The three big cloud computing vendors are Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, and Microsoft Azure. All three of these cloud leaders offer certification exams to help potential employers efficiently select their most capable future employees. These certifications have become a crucial first step for anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in the fast-moving world of cloud computing. Passing any of these exams is very important for existing IT pros, but it also represents the entry point for newcomers with no computing background. These exams are challenging, but there is really no other way to get your foot in the door. And time is of the essence!
Some basic traditional IT pro skills transfer directly to the new cloud environment, but there are also many new skills that have totally changed, and today’s information workers need to acquire these important new skills to remain relevant and fully transition to the cloud. It is safe to say that the traditional IT pro skills that were sufficient just a few years ago are simply not enough to keep active in the industry going forward.
So, we know that we must develop many new skills to meet the demands of these rapidly emerging cloud job roles. And we need to definitively prove our cloud skills to potential employers. This means preparing for any of the various cloud certification tracks that are available from Google, Amazon, and Microsoft. These certification tracks include:
Google Cloud Platform
- Google Certified Professional – Cloud Architect: Google cloud architecture technologies.
- Google Certified Professional – Data Engineer: Collecting, transforming, and visualizing data.
- Google Certified Associate – G Suite Administrator: G Suite domain management, administering users, organizational units, groups, and controlling access security to services.
Amazon Web Services
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate: Designing distributed applications and systems on the AWS platform.
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate: Developing and maintaining applications on the AWS platform.
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate: Deployment, management, and operations on the AWS platform.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional: Designing distributed applications and systems on the AWS platform.
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional: Provisioning, operating, and managing distributed application systems on the AWS platform.
- AWS Certified Big Data – Specialty: Designing and implementing AWS services to derive value from data.
- MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure: Cloud technologies, identity management, systems management, virtualization, storage, and networking.
- MCSA: Cloud Platform Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Expertise in Microsoft cloud-related technologies to reduce IT costs and deliver value.
- MCSA: Data Engineering with Azure: Engineering data with HD Insight and Cloud Services.
- MCSA: Machine Learning: Microsoft Azure machine learning and big data with R Server and SQL R Services.
- MCSA: Linux on Azure: Design, architect, implement, and maintain complex cloud-enabled Linux solutions that leverage Microsoft Azure.
- MTA: IT Infrastructure: Wide spectrum of fundamental IT Pro concepts.
Any and all of these tracks are a huge win to have on your resume. And the pace of change is so fast that there is really no time to waste. The time is now to prepare for these exams and complete them as soon as possible to be able to jump into this amazingly exciting career path. And it represents a fantastic opportunity going forward!